Go back to home

We have detected that you are using ad blocking software.
The Celica Club forum is made possible by ad revenue.
Please disable your ad blocker to ensure that this site lives on.

ST205 charge cooler (intercooler) pump

Author
admin
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 329
  • Scores: 21
  • Reward points: 3397
2015/03/27 17:14:09 (permalink)

ST205 charge cooler (intercooler) pump

I just discovered that the ST205 intercooler pump only runs when the engine is at full throttle.
DUMB!
The result of this is that the intercooler becomes heat soaked and when you come on boost, the intercooler is hot and you therefore have less power than you could have. This is maybe OK for the track where the pump is on for a significant amount of time though for the street, it is useless as your intercooler coolant is always hot.
The solution is to have the intercooler pump running all the time. This ensures that the coolant is always cold and the result is that you will get more power! Win.
I haven't modified my car to do this yet though will do so later today and report back on my findings. It should be a simple mod - just jumping a wire from the switched +12V to the trigger wire for the pump. I should be able to do this where the wires go into the ECU.

2 Replies Related Threads

admin
    Administrator
    Re: ST205 charge cooler (intercooler) pump 2015/03/27 17:15:33 (permalink)
    Job done! Here is what I did.
    Locate the relay box next to the radiator cap -

Remove the two bolts holding the relay box on and remove the cover underneath it -

The intercooler pump relay is the one on the left -

Carefully remove some insulation from these wires and solder them -

Wrap some wire around both wires and solder them together and cover with tape -

Carefully remove some insulation from this wire and connect a black wire to it with solder, then cover with tape -

Remove the bolt in front of the battery -

Connect the other end of the new black wire here -

Now the intercooler pump will run all the time when the ignition is on. To see the difference, go for a drive then open the bonnet and put your hand on top of the intercooler. It shouldn't be hot. It would have been before.
    Boost!
    post edited by Bud - 2015/04/10 18:52:10
    admin
    Administrator
    Re: ST205 charge cooler (intercooler) pump 2015/03/27 17:15:57 (permalink)
    An additional mod that will help with a street car is to add one or two cooling fans to the heat exchanger at the front of the car. This will help to reduce heat soak when your car is sitting in traffic.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Trial Version 5.5